Tuesday 9 November 2010

Pheasant Plucker and the Noah's Ark.

Today I was invited to the pub after work by some colleagues (yeah, part of the cool kids now) and I had some ale which I have had before and trust. Pheasant Plucker is another one of those local ales like Otter Ale that can literally be found everywhere in South Devon. This is good, as it makes a fine pint.

Pheasant Plucker is brewed in Ipplepen, Devon, by a brewery called Hunters. To be fair, Hunters is more known for its flagship beer, Hunters Gold. Its not to my tastes, so I never bother with it personally. But hey, they do a good job with this one at least.


 To start the review I will mention the smell. I never really care, but when you drink you do put it quite close to your nose and I couldn't help notice it smelt a bit spicy and a bit like caramel. The thing I like most about Pheasant plucker as a fan of dark ale, is the flavour. It really is bitter sweet, I kid you not. You get both the "aaaaahhh..." of a good bitter and the "mmm" of a sweet drink. The ale is quite flat and has a thin bubbly head, which is just the way I like it.
I find that generally carbonation ruins any flavour of beer. This is precisely why you will not see me dead with a pint of Carlsberg in a pub. I will have a 'real' beer thank you very much.

The pub in question today was the Noah's Ark in Paignton. Curiously, I live less than a minutes walk away and if it wasn't for this one house, I would be able to see it from my window. However, I have only been in there 3 times, including today. This was generally because of lack of atmosphere and expensive drinks. But it turns out this is my workmates hideout for after a shift, so I guess I could get used to it. I didn't really get the full experience, as it was between 3 and 5 on a tuesday night. Who am I to complain, I got a few great pints from there today.

I have been told they also do on tap other beers by Hunters, such as half bore (4%), Gold (obviously) and Full Bore (8%!), which I am dying to try.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Came to the same pub just a few weeks ago after a visit to the Zoo and had the same beer. It is a lovely beer, but I wasn't that keen on the pub.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you there. I think it just isn't in the right place, but your right- not exactly the best...

    ReplyDelete