Monday 8 November 2010

Abbot Ale and the Churston Court.

If there was a good, delicious ale to recommend on draught, Abbot Ale would be right up there.


And so we find ourselves on my very first "Ale review". I don't know much about using wishy washy terms such as 'fruity notes' or 'tones'. I will say about colour, tastyness, and satisfaction. You know, things that real humans can understand. If I do find I learn the meaning of these words, I shall certainly explain them thoroughly before using them off the bat, as they say.

So, Abbot Ale. One of the first, if not the first, draught Ales I ever had. I thought it would be a good start point to talk about as I have had it on draught in a number of pubs, in bottles, and more recently out of a can. Abbot is brewed by Greene King in bury St Edmunds, and it is a dark amber ale with a refreshing taste. It is usually found at about 5% alcohol, which means your not going to get slaughtered after 3. It is a good all round drink that you can just keep going on until last orders (just ask my friends Alan and Wade). I would say it is not too filling, and is just the right balance of heaviness if you are looking to have a 'standard' ale for the night. 

Out of the bottle and the can, it is not so good. But it never is with draught ales. They do put up a decent fight for themselves but the carbonation is a bit more than I would want. But hey, if that is what there is and you are nowhere near a pub, go for it, it is still delicious.

Even first class oaf politician Boris Johnson likes a good pint of Abbot.


The best pint(s) of Abbot I have had on draught to date was at the Churston Court Inn, in Brixham. This lovely pub is an old church house full of character, and best of all, some sofas. There is nothing like having a good sofa in a good pub with good beer, and good friends for company.


 When Alan first recommended Abbot Ale to me, he was not wrong when he said "it sneaks up on you". I said, "Like a real Abbot?". To which he replied, "not exactly."

What he meant was, (and I'm sure Alan and Wade will vouch for me) is that you really don't realise you are drunk until it is far too late to doing anything about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment