Monday 6 June 2011

A Pint of your best Piddle please...

Now that I work in a pub, I am beginning to understand the value of customer/ bartender interaction when it comes to the purchase of ale. Its a fine art- discussing flavours, heaviness, aroma, ABV, and the all important offering of tasters.

However, when a patron approaches the bar and asks for a pint of Piddle, you can't help but smirk. Its also a good conversation starter, for example, "A pint of piddle please", "HAHA I love it when people say that", "yeah, funny name right" ... and so on, and so on.

I am of course talking about "Dorset Piddle", from the dorset piddle brewery. Previous to 2008, if you asked for a pint of Piddle you would get laughed out the door, but now with the release of this rather idiosyncratically named pale ale, it is proving a big hit. Yesterday, I must have sold about 20 times more of this stuff than the other 3 guest ales we had on pump at the time.

As for the beer itself, it is amber in colour but still manages a nice full flavour. I have often found that some beers of paler nature tend to lack in body and substance, but this one doesn't disappoint. It tastes quite fruity and has a fruity kind of smell to it, but what I like about it most is the fact it still manages a nice bitter finish at the end.


In the words of the brewery itself, "I love a good Piddle".


The brewery also does a number of beers that look promising, such as Yogi Beer, Silent Slasher, Cocky Hop, and Jimmy Riddle. You can't help but spot a theme... regardless, I look forward to tasting them if Piddle is anything to go by!

No comments:

Post a Comment